Below you’ll find brochures you can download, items you can order and links to useful websites. For information on specific topics – from treatment options to living with chronic illness — feel free to contact our office by phone (800.888.6208). We are happy to provide you with copies of literature or websites that we have found helpful.
To Order Stuff
Some of the following information can be downloaded to your computer for printing. For the rest, Click here to download the mail-in order form. Or if you prefer, you can call the Conquer Myasthenia Gravis office (800.888.6208) to make a request by phone. A shipping and handling fee applies to items you purchase.
- Conquer. Click here to read past issues online.
- A Practical Guide to Myasthenia Gravis – A Handbook for Patients and Families. A brochure written by a neurologist and a patient to summarize information about myasthenia gravis. Call 800.888.6208 for a free copy.
Free fact sheets and brochures also are available at these web sites:
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke – Myasthenia Gravis Fact Sheet
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Publications – Facts About Myasthenia Gravis (MG)
- Mayo Clinic
Books and DVDs for Sale
- The Mystery Guest, MG: A Personal Plan for Dealing with a Chronic Illness. A book by Peggy Matthews Cashman and Loretta Kett Bier, published 2007, 227 pages. “An uninvited guest came to visit me and it appears to have come for a long stay.” The book jacket continues, “Here is the story of one woman’s journey from a progressive illness difficult to identify, through her diagnosis and subsequent search for wellness. By freely confronting the physical, emotional and spiritual ramifications of having a neuromuscular disease, this book provides a definite plan to deal with a chronic illness. The tests, therapies, treatments and research on MG are clearly described. This book will have a broad appeal for those suffering with a chronic illness, their caregivers, family members and friends.” ($25.00)
- Life Music – Lessons Learned at the University of Catastrophe. A book by Marie Smith, published 2007, 200 pages. With great humor, Marie describes how she has dealt with myasthenia gravis and a malignant thymoma as a wife, mother and cellist. ($25.00)
- MG 101 (51 minutes), DVD, October 2015. Matthew Meriggioli, MD, explains how various antibodies cause myasthenia gravis, and describes how MG is diagnosed and treated. ($15.00)
- Practical Strategies for Living with MG (90 minutes), DVD, October 2014. Registered dietitians A. Seitz and J. Koman discuss MG nutrition issues (60 min). Physical therapist B. White discusses MG and exercise (30 min). ($15.00)
- Side Effects of Common Myasthenia Gravis Treatments (90 minutes), DVD, May 2014. Dr. Alexandru Barboi describes side effects of plasma exchange, IVIg, thymectomy, prednisone, Mestinon®, azathioprine, CellCept®, and other medications when they are used to treat MG. He explains the steps physicians take to prevent and ease these conditions. ($15.00)
- Stress Management and MG (68 minutes) / Meditation as Medication (6 minutes) DVD, October 2013. Deb Smith, M.Ed., LCPC, describes specific, easy to use ways to cope with stress in your life. Tim Fior, M.D., explains the benefits of meditation for MG patients and leads a simple meditation exercise.
- MG – What You Need to Know, (75 minutes) DVD, April 2013. Dr. Robert Pascuzzi discusses MG treatments, diagnostic tests, and the latest in MG research. He comments on not taking immune suppressants, dietary issues and more. ($15.00)
- What’s New in Medical Research (64 min), DVD, October 2012. Drs. Betty Soliven and Qin Li Jiang explain MG and its treatments, as well as current MG research projects. ($15.00)
- Medical Management of MG (46 min) / Thymectomy – Various Surgical Appoaches (51 min), single DVD, October 16, 2011. Drs. Julie Rowin and Matthew Meriggioli discuss pathology and current medical treatments of MG. Dr. Khaled Abdelhady discusses various surgical approaches to thymectomy. Dr. Pier Giulianotti discusses new advances with robotic surgery. ($15.00)
- MG Treatments: Conventional to Cutting Edge (75 min) DVD, April, 2011. Dr. Michael Merchut discusses how MG affects the body and reviews the full range of MG treatments – from current to on-the-horizon. Dr. Bruce McLeod describes the science and procedure of plasmapheresis. ($15.00)
- MG Across Generations (58 min), DVD, October, 2010. A patient / physician panel talks about the unique challenges faced by MG patients of different ages as they meet life’s milestones – starting college, immersed in family and career, entering retirement. Advice and inspiration. ($15.00)
- De-Mystifying Insurance (53 min), DVD, April, 2010. Two speakers from Lifecare Innovations discuss practical issues and solutions to accessing care and maximizing coverage. Lessons include how to be your own advocate, how to negotiate with providers and insurers and how to manage health insurance claims. ($15.00)
- What Else Can Go Wrong? Chronic Illness and Mental Health (1 hour, 25 min.), DVD, October, 2009. Panelists Suzanne Yellen, PhD, therapist Susan O’Connell, M. Ed., and William Frerichs, MG patient, discuss the many impacts of illness on patients, caregivers, family and friends. Advice from these professionals and the patient about how to manage chronic illness is provided. ($15.00)
- Living Strong with MG: Clinical Research & Treatment (1 hour, 29 min.), DVD, August, 2009. Drs. Julie Rowin and Matthew Meriggioli discuss current and future treatments for MG, side effects of treatment, the immune system, clinical trials and how new treatments are researched and tested. Dr. Meriggioli talks about his own work in research. ($15.00)
- Swallowing and Chewing Issues with MG (1 hour, 18 min.), DVD, April, 2009. Jennifer Cross, a speech pathologist, discusses symptoms, tests, evaluations for MG patients and specific suggestions about chewing and swallowing. Ms. Cross is followed by Dr. Lee Akst, from the Loyola Swallowing Center, discussing bulbar symptoms, the differences in normal and MG patient voice and swallowing and possible outcomes. ($15.00)
- Attacking MG—Redefining the Limits, (56 min.) DVD, September 2008. A young college athlete discusses how she redefines her own limits and maintains a positive outlook. ($15.00)
- Experiencing Relaxation, (1 hour, 19 min.) DVD, May 2008. Scientific studies show that stress can worsen medical symptoms. Dr. Albina Tamalonis discusses the effects of stress and demonstrates several relaxation techniques. ($15.00)
- Fatigue, Sleep and MG, (59 min.) DVD, October 2007. Dr. Wayne Rubinstein discusses the difference between fatigue and sleep and ways to manage the symptoms and effects. Sleep apnea and hypersomnia in MG patients is presented. ($15.00)
- Ocular MG, (53 min.) DVD, April 2007. Dr. Thomas Mizen presents a layman’s explanation of the physiological causes of ocular MG, along with diagnosis and treatment options. ($15.00)
- Myasthenia Gravis – What You Probably Don’t Know, (2 hours) DVD, October 2006. Dr. Robert Pascuzzi presents the history of the disease and the latest in research. He talks about depression, energy sappers and nutritional guidelines. ($15.00)
Information on this page updated June 2016.