In-Person Walk – Sunday, June 19
Virtual Challenge – June 4 to June 18
LET’S CONQUER MYASTHENIA GRAVIS
There’s a way for everyone to be included in this year’s Viking Challenge. Join us for the in-person Walk on Sunday, June 19 (Happy Father’s Day!). Or take the Virtual Challenge and do as many miles as you choose in your own way (walk, run, bike, swim), from Saturday, June 4 to Friday, June 17. You even can do both!
Our goal is to lift up those who struggle with this often disabling rare autoimmune neuromuscular disease. In addition to being our 10th annual walk for those with MG, this year also is Conquer MG’s 50th Anniversary! Celebrate with us!
All proceeds support the mission of Conquer Myasthenia Gravis.
This year’s event honors Tracy Cartwright Shackelford, who passed away in 2021. In recognition of her service as a Conquer MG Board member and compassionate advocate for the MG community, Conquer MG will announce the recipient of the Tracy Shackelford MG Service Award at the Walk.
Click the blue Sign Up button above to go to the RunSignUp registration website. Sign up online anytime between now and 11:59 CT Thursday, June 16. Day-of registrations will be accepted at the Walk. Choose your event:
In-Person 1-3 Mile Walk – $40, $50, or $15
- Adults – $40
- On Walk day – $50
- Kids under age 13 – $15
- A small transaction fee applies to online registrations.
Virtual Viking Challenge – $40
Both in-person and virtual! – $45 (such a deal!) You can choose both when you register.
Participate as a rugged individual(!), or invite your friends and family to join your team.
Team captains should register the team first, then others can choose this team when they sign up. Need to register more than one person? Just follow the prompts.
IN-PERSON WALK – JUNE 19
Bring your warrior helmets, horns, beards, and braids for this year’s 10th Annual Viking Walk. The circular path around the park allows you to choose your distance, whether it’s a block or two, or three miles.
Berens Park, 493 Oak Lawn Avenue, Elmhurst, Illinois
SCHEDULE – Sunday, June 19
- 8:30 a.m. – Registration opens
- 9:00 a.m. – Welcome & Announcements
- 9:15 a.m. – Walk starts
- 10:30 a.m. – Raffle prizes & awards announced
Raffle prizes, sponsor giveaways, local health & wellness providers, and snacks. Be sure to stop by the This-is-what-MG-is-like stations.
VIRTUAL CHALLENGE – JUNE 4 TO JUNE 17
Talk about flexibility!
- Participate on your own, or invite family and friends to join you.
- Choose how to complete your miles – walk, run, bike, swim, paddle.
- Complete as many miles as you like from Saturday, June 4 to Friday, June 17.
- Submit photos and compete for prizes.
- All miles must be logged into RunSignup by noon, Saturday, June 18, to be eligible for prizes.
As you walk, run, bike or swim your way through the Challenge, please share your accomplishments, team, or inner Viking! You can post photos on the Runsignup site. Or email your photos and stories to email@example.com. To be eligible for prizes, we must know who you are!
LOGGING YOUR MILES
- As you complete your miles, log your activity in RunSignUp, on the Results page. Don’t worry – it’s easy. This short video shows you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbIL7aGLk5E. In brief:
- Go to https://runsignup.com/Race/IL/Elmhurst/VirtualVikingChallengeforMG
- From the navigation, click “Results”
- Under Individual Results, search on your name
- Follow the prompts to enter your activity type and miles. Entering the time you took to complete the distance is optional.
- You can submit one or more activities at a time.
- You have until noon on June 18 to log your accomplishments.
- The first time you log activity, you can set an individual goal for yourself.
- Watch for badges to appear on your Profile page as you work toward your goal.
When you log your distance, you also can check where you are on the leader board. Are you ahead of your friends? Check back frequently to see!
Complete your walking, running, biking, etc., from June 4 through June 17. Submit your miles until NOON, JUNE 18. Leaders as of June 18 will be announced at the Walk, and will be eligible for gift card prizes.
SWAG AND FUN STUFF…
- T-shirts for participants
- 50th Anniversary medal for individuals who have MG
- Sponsor giveaways
- This-is-what-MG-is-like stations
- Health and wellness tables with local providers
- Raffle (bring a little extra cash to buy your raffle tickets)
- Prizes for the Best Viking and Most Funds Raised
- T-shirts mailed to your home
- 50th Anniversary medal for those who have MG mailed to your home
- Downloadable print-at-home bib (to take a photo with!)
- Prizes for the Best Photo, Most Miles, and Most Funds Raised
FUNDRAISING: THE HEART OF THE MATTER
Ah, the heart of the matter. Your support is vital to help Conquer MG support people who have myasthenia gravis.
You can set up your own fundraising page for the Viking Challenge for MG when you sign up, or later. Share your own story, and invite others to support this cause. Your friends and family can add any amount – each dollar counts. (Note: Be sure to use your Team name for your fundraising page if you want to ask people to donate on behalf of your Team.) Your confirmation email will include a link that you can share with others.
Facebook fundraisers are another easy way to raise funds for the cause. Here’s a link to get started: https://www.facebook.com/fund/ConquerMyastheniaGravis/. We’ll make sure these amounts are added to our overall Virtual Viking total at the end of the challenge.
Proceeds from the Virtual Viking Challenge make it possible for Conquer MG to complete its vital work: support, education, awareness, and research funding to improve the lives of those who have myasthenia gravis.
OR JUST CLICK “DONATE”
Maybe you’re not up for walking or running or fundraising right now. Click the yellow DONATE button and you can donate in honor of someone, or donate to their fundraiser (as long as they have set up a fundraising page).
All proceeds support the mission of Conquer Myasthenia Gravis. Going strong for 50 years, Conquer MG provides support, information, advocacy, and research funding to those dealing with this rare autoimmune disease.
If you have any questions about this virtual challenge, contact Conquer MG at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-888-6208.
ABOUT MYASTHENIA GRAVIS
Myasthenia gravis impairs communication between nerves and muscle, causing sometimes fluctuating and sometimes severe weakness. Symptoms can occur in any combination. They include drooping eyelid(s); double vision; weak arms, hands, neck, face, or legs; difficulty chewing, smiling, swallowing, talking; undue fatigue; difficult breathing; or sense of balance difficulty.