June 14-30, 2020
June is Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month!
The 2020 Viking Run/Walk is going virtual!
We can’t gather in person this year, but we can still act like warriors to conquer MG. Now more than ever it’s important to put our energy into healthy practices like running and walking – whether it’s indoors, outdoors, on a treadmill, or around the living room. In the process, we’ll show our support for those who have MG. And to be honest, now more than ever Conquer MG needs your help to help others.
Here’s how it works:
- Click the Sign Up button to register for the Virtual Run/Walk any time between now and June 30, 2020 ($35 plus a small transaction fee).
- Team option! This challenge is a natural for individuals. You also can use some creativity and do it as a team (keeping 6 feet apart at all times, of course). Team stuff happens during the sign-up process. The team captain should register first and create the team; then others join it. Registered team members get Virtual Viking shirts.
- Fundraising option! Share your own story, and invite others to support this cause. To be honest, we know it’s a tough year. Your friends and family can support with any amount – from $5 to $5 gajillion. You can set up a fundraising page during sign up, or at any other time. (Note: If you want to ask people to “give to your Team,” set up a fundraising page with the Team name.) Your confirmation email will include a link that you can share with others. You don’t have to sign up for the challenge to fundraise.
- Challenge yourself! Set a goal to run or walk the distance of your choice between June 14 and June 30. Or pick any activity that works for you: climb stairs for 10 minutes each day, plant a garden, get outdoors..your choice!
- Share your experience! Submit a photo to email@example.com that shows your accomplishment, your inner Viking, or both!
- Watch the mail for your t-shirt in late July.
PRIZES will be awarded for:
- Funniest photo submitted by July 15
- Best Viking photo submitted by July 15
- Most donations raised by July 15 (although the donation option will be available throughout July
PREFER TO BE A SUPPORTER? Maybe you’re not up for walking or running right now. Your support – in any amount – still matters. Click the DONATE button to support the work of Conquer MG. Your gift can be made in honor of someone. You can assign your donation to a specific fundraising page created by an individual or a team. (You can make a bigger difference by creating a fundraising page and sharing it with others.)
All proceeds support Conquer Myasthenia Gravis. Going strong for 48 years, Conquer MG has given support, information, advocacy, and research funding to those dealing with the rare autoimmune disease. The Virtual Viking Run/Walk gives family and friends a chance to lift up their loved ones who struggle with MG.
A Little Background
For its first six years, the fundraiser was held in Elmhurst, Illinois, under the name “Strides Against MG.” Board chair Bob Rosecrans explains, “We renamed the event to encourage folks to show off their best Viking style – with beards and braids and helmets. Like the name says, we’d love to conquer MG.”
Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disease that causes fluctuating weakness. It can affect muscles that control eye movements, eyelids, chewing, swallowing, breathing, coughing and facial expression, as well as the arms and legs. If you have questions about myasthenia gravis, call 800-888-6208, visit www.myastheniagravis.org, or find us on Facebook (Conquer Myasthenia Gravis).
Check out LOTS more photos from past years on our Facebook page.